Friday, January 9, 2015

The Passion of Reading

The past week, there have been many blogs and articles with regards to "Reading Challenges."  Now last year, I did the Goodreads Challenge.  Here you had to indicate at the beginning of the year how many books you would have read by the end of the year.  Every time you added a "read" book to your Goodreads list it added it to your challenge.  I challenged myself to 48 books I believe.  I ended up reading 51 by December 31st.  Whew!

Now believe me, some were re-reads.  Like all the Harry Potter Books, and some of the Diana Gabaldon books.  But all in all, I did a pretty good job.  And I think I branched out quite a bit.  Actually read some NYT Bestsellers and a Pulitzer Prize Winning Novel!

This year, not only am I doing the Goodreads Challenge (55 books!)  I'm mashing together the Book Riot's challenge with PopSugar's Challenge.

I love to read!  And since I don't have cable tv anymore, I'm not tied to watching tv which was starting to bore me anyway.  Don't get me wrong, there were a few books I read last year that I would prefer to never have to read again but I believe I got something out of each book I read.  Even the re-reads.

So, the books I read last year:

The Dinner Herman Koch
The Snow Child Eowyn Ivey
The Dressmaker Kate Alcott
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks Rebecca Skloot
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time Mark Haddon
The Good Luck of Right Now Matthew Quick
The Invention of Wings Sue Monk Kidd
Ticker Lisa Mantchev
Defending Jacob William Landay
The Fever Megan Abbott
If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) Gayle Forman
Orphan Train Christina Baker Kline
A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) George R.R. Martin
Outliers: The Story of Success Malcolm Gladwell
The Returned Jason Mott
Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3) Kay Bratt
Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughter, Book Two) Kay Bratt
The Giver (The Giver Quartet, #1) Lois Lowry
The Wedding Dress Rachel Hauck
Details T.H.E.
The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #1) Charlie N. Holmberg
One Lavender Ribbon Heather Burch
Inamorata Megan Chance
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) George R.R. Martin
Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander, #8) Diana Gabaldon
Dust Angel Jutta Profijt
A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1) Libba Bray
Last Night at the Viper Room: River Phoenix and the Hollywood He Left Behind Gavin Edwards
The Fault in Our Stars John Green
The Absolute Last Weight-Loss, Diet, & Exercise Book You will Ever Need To Read Arthur Apolinario
The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #1) Kay Bratt
Veronika Decides to Die Paulo Coelho
House of Bathory Linda Lafferty
The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) Rick Riordan
The Ocean at the End of the Lane Neil Gaiman
By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept Paulo Coelho
And the Mountains Echoed Khaled Hosseini
The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) Rick Riordan
The Circle Dave Eggers
City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6) Cassandra Clare
The Book Thief Markus Zusak
Allegiant (Divergent, #3) Veronica Roth
The Goldfinch Donna Tartt
Voyager (Outlander, #3) Diana Gabaldon
Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) Diana Gabaldon
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) J.K. Rowling


I'm creating an Excel Spreadsheet with regards to the books I hope I'll be reading this year. I like the "categories" that Book Riot and PopSugar created.

I'm sure I'll get distracted by some "new" book this year but I'm going to try and stick to my list.  I'll let you know how I did on December 31st!

No comments:

Post a Comment