Thursday, January 15, 2015

Taking a Break

The other day I read an article about one of my favorite hockey players, Chad Larose.  Finally, he spoke out about all the "drama" surrounding his departure from my favorite hockey team, the Carolina Hurricanes.  At the end of the 2013 season, he walked out of his exit interview with the General Manager, Jim Rutherford.  When the fans/masses/writers/twitterers/bloggers/etc. found out about it, oh the heat was on.

"How dare he?"  "The Carolina Hurricanes were the only team that gave him a chance.  He owes them."  And in the words of Jimmy Buffett, "He'll never work in dis bidness again."  There were many other things said about him and his exit.  And the majority of them...not nice.

I do not know Chad Larose.  I've met him a few times while I was working at Harris Teeter.  I named my dog Rosey after him (it's the bug eyes).  I liked his personality.  I liked his attitude.  He just looked like he was having fun.  And in the end, isn't that what we'd all like from our jobs?  But that last year, you could tell something was going on.  Not just with him but with the whole team.  And now, after reading the article above, I can totally get it.

I won't get into his issues.  You can read it to find out.  But I've been there.  I've wanted to just go away.  I have actually hated a job so much that I just didn't want to go back.  And I didn't want to talk about it.  To anyone.  I hated life so much at one time that I had to walk away and I did.  I walked all the way to Florida to realize that I didn't really have it so bad here in NC.  It took some time.  I had to get over a few things.  But eventually, I came back.

It hasn't been easy.  I've worked hard, lost a few friends but honestly, I'm happy now.  Maybe not scream it from the skyscrapers happy but happy.

The point of it all though is that sometimes, some people, just can't deal with the issues any more.  And rather than hurting anyone's feelings, they just walk away.  They take a couple days, a week, or a month, and then they talk about it.  I don't think there's any harm in that.  Myself, when I get so mad at anything, at life, I cry.  And I hate to cry.  I have to walk away, collect my thoughts, my feelings and then once I've done that, I can talk about it.  Maybe you won't like it.

I know in this age of immediate information we always want to know "Why?"  But for those of you clamoring for information, step back.  Let them collect their thoughts.  Let them release their feelings, thoughts, news, in their own way.  It will happen.  The need to talk to people will win out.

I'm glad Chad Larose did what he did.  It makes me like him even more.  Good luck Chad!  I'm in your corner man.

No comments:

Post a Comment