Thursday, February 26, 2015

Book Review: "Gone With The Wind" by Margaret Mitchell

I've always wanted to read this book, but it's always been pushed aside by some other book and thus, for years it remained on my TBR (To Be Read) list of books.

I downloaded it to my kindle in 2013.  I just now, today 2/8/2015, finished it.  I started it 1/25/2015.  Damn life and work for getting in the way here!

Anyway, I have to say, I am sorry that I missed out on this book years ago.  Never, in my life, has one book taken me to so many emotional levels.  Sure there's romance.  But there's history and well, life.  As someone who has grown up in the South it was hard to take.  The language really hurt me at times.  Words were used that I dislike but I realize were normal for the times.  And unfortunately some of these words are still used today.

Several years ago, I took a trip to Gettysburg, PA.  I have to admit, it was quite possibly the most emotional trip I have ever taken.  To actually stand where men died for what they believed in, whether you or I believed they were right in their beliefs, it was powerful.  I think if I had been alone, I might have just sat and cried for hours.

Is GWTW a factual story?  Who knows.  But it does tell the tale from the Southern side of things I believe.  With a romantic twist of course.  Because who doesn't want that Southern Belle romantic stuff.

I loved Scarlett.  She was a woman before her time.  And you knew the minute Rhett appeared in her life that he loved her, regardless of his original words.  I admired her for her tenacity, the way she fought.  Sure, there were weak moments, what strong woman isn't weak at times?  And why can't a strong woman be weak? Finally, what woman doesn't "fall" for the wrong guy?

I recommend reading this, if you haven't.  It's not going to change your mind or opinion with regards to the Civil War but, it may make you think about why people felt the way the felt and did the things they did.  I can sympathize, because I am like that.  Right and wrong, your choice, not mine.

And as for the end, Scarlett gets her man in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment