Thursday, June 1, 2017

Books and Movies

I read. That's what I do. And I do a lot of it. Every now and then I do enjoy a good movie but I'm rarely tempted to see a movie adapted from a book I've read. However, I've stumbled upon a discovery so grand that now, it's quite possible, I will see more movies adapted from books.

My discovery is this:  If the author of the book writes the screenplay I love it! Of course, it has to be a book I actually like.  I'm not just going to go see every movie adaptation of every book I read. Some books were not very good. I wouldn't want to pay money and time to see it again!

Here are my recommendations so far, where I read the book and then, saw the movie and the author of the book wrote the screenplay:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky wrote the book in 1999. The movie was released in 2012 and I thought it was excellent! Stephen Chbosky wrote the screenplay.

Room - Emma Donoghue wrote the book in 2010. The movie was released in 2015 and again, awesome! Brie Larson even won the Best Actress award for that movie. Emma Donoghue wrote the screenplay.

Me Before You - Jojo Moyes wrote the book in 2012. The movie was released in 2016. I cried in the book. I cried watching the movie at the same parts.  I rarely cry. And this was funny and sad crying. It was amazing! Jojo Moyes wrote the screenplay.

And they are listed as the only writers for the screenplay so, I'm a bit iffy about Ready Player One next year.  I loved the book but I don't see Ernest Cline listed as the "1st" screenwriter. I don't want to hate that movie.

But now I know what to look for when I see a book that I liked being released as a movie, I check to see who wrote the screenplay.  This will help me in the future I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment