Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Bridging the Divide Book Club - Our Kids: The American Dream in Crisis

I went to a new book club tonight. Crazy, I know. But when I heard about this one, it really spoke to me and I knew that I had to be a part of it.  The first book was Robert Putnam's Our Kids: The American Dream in Crisis.  Honestly, as of today I have not finished this book but I like what I am reading so far.

The book touches on a few things that interest me though because I grew up all over the maps he draws.  I had that family that did everything together until I was 12.  We had family dinner time.  I don't recall watching TV. We read. Or played games. OR talked! Of course there were extra curricular activities but my parents were INVOLVED.

But then divorce happened. We were raised by a single parent. There were serious tough times and yet, I succeeded.  I went to college. I own a home. I own a car. I have a 401k.

I will say this though: As a country, we divide ourselves. We create our own division and I can't figure out why.

No comments:

Post a Comment